Qualified candidates are invited to apply for the 2020 WBG-Africa Fellowship Program for PhD Students and recent PhD graduates who are from Sub-Saharan Africa. The World Bank Group (WBG) Africa Fellowship Program was established in 2013 to target young talented Africans who have completed or recently completed a PhD in an area relevant to the World Bank’s work. The fellowship program has been a success since its start, building young African talent interested in a career in development, in international institutions, African governments, think tanks, and academia.
The 2020 WBG Africa Fellowship Program expects to support up to 15 fellows and with the support of the Think Africa Partnership, a private sector window provides support for additional 10 fellowship positions with a special focus on private sector development and finance. The mandate of the additional 10 fellows is to improve the macroeconomic, business, and financial frameworks to enhance private sector investment, strengthen economic policymaking and ultimately promote economic growth across the region.
- Application Deadline: 23rd August 2020
- Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
- Type: PhD, Fellowship
- Fellowship duration: 6 months
- Number of Awardees: 25
- Country of fellowship: World Bank offices in Washington, D.C. or a Sub-Saharan country
- Start duration: January-June 2021
Eligibility: The candidate has to:
- Be a recent PhD graduate (within three years of completion) or be enrolled in the last year of the PhD program.
- Have an excellent command of English, both written and verbal
- Possess strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Be under the age of 32 by the closing of the application period
- command of an additional World Bank official language
- national from fragile and conflict-affected countries
- candidates from refugee and internally displaced communities and/or with proven experience on forced displacement
Value of Fellowship:
- Fellows are eligible to receive consultant fees
- Round-trip economy class air travel to Washington, D.C. or a WBG country office from their university or institution, and
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
How to Apply: