Mastercard in partnership with the University of Cape Town invites applications for the Mastercard Scholarship. The Mastercard Scholarship Programme was established in 2012 to provide scholarships to academically talented and poor young Africans to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT. The vision of the Program is to transform promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, preparing them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa.
- Offered annually? Yes
- Type: Masters
- Eligible Countries: Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Study location: University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Fields of Study: Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- Number of Awardees: 50 opportunities (24 undergraduate, 10 honours and 16 masters)
- Value of Scholarship: Full scholarship
- Duration of Scholarship: 1 year
- Application Deadline: 30th September 2020
To be eligible to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, candidates must meet the stated criteria:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only). Honours applicants will be considered from 2016.
- All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the Masters’ degree.
- Preference will be given to ‘first-generation’ students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
- Applicants must have received a firm offer to study at UCT
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity
How to Apply:
To apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement online.
For more information, visit the Scholarship Webpage