Synapse Services is inviting applications for the post of Clinical Psychologist. A clinical psychologist identifies and diagnoses psychological, emotional, and behavioural issues in the client, develops and implements treatment plans. The company is privately owned and managed Center for Psychological Medicine with the head office located at No.10, Inuwa Wada Crescent Off T.O.S Benson Street Opposite LEA Primary, Off N Okonjo-Iweala Way, Utako, Abuja.
- Job Title: Clinical Psychologist
- Job Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Reports to: Clinical Lead
- Deadline: 20th August 2020.
- Counsel individuals and groups regarding problems such as stress, substance abuse, and family situations, to modify behaviour.
- Offer therapy and treatments for difficulties relating to mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, and addiction.
- Identify psychological, emotional, or behavioural issues, and diagnose disorders, using diagnostic criteria and develop a treatment plan accordingly.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team alongside doctors, nurses, social workers, psychiatrists, and occupational therapists.
- Develop and implement individual treatment plans, specifying the type, frequency, intensity, and duration of therapy.
- Modify treatment activities or approaches as needed to comply with changes in clients’ status
- Guide clients in the development of their skills or strategies for dealing with their problems
- Understand bio-psychosocial assessment, psychological case formulation and develop an individualized treatment plan for every patient in therapy.
- Facilitate Diverse Group therapeutic sessions and ensure proper engagement.
- Select, administer, score, and interpret psychological tests to obtain information on individuals’ intelligence, achievements, interests, and personalities.
- Be conversant with different treatment methods like cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectic behavioural therapy, talk therapy person-centred therapy etc.
- Collect information about clients through an initial assessment and other related sources that can help to make treatment effective.
- Be conversant with the electronic medical record system for proper documentation of progress notes and treatment plan.
- Evaluate clients’ physical or mental condition based on the review of client information
- Collaborate with other staff members to perform clinical assessments or develop treatment plans
- Refer patients, clients or family members to community resources or specialists as necessary
- Act as client advocates to coordinate required services or to resolve emergency problems in crises
- Counsel family members to assist them in understanding, dealing with or supporting clients or patients
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs on clients’ progress in resolving identified problems and moving towards defined objectives
- Discuss with individual patients their plans for life after leaving therapy
- Meet with families, probation officers, police or other interested parties to exchange necessary information during the treatment process
- Plan, organise or lead structured programs of counselling, work, study, recreation or social activities for clients
- Plan or conduct programs to prevent substance abuse or improve community health or counselling services
- Psycho-educate client on the importance of medication compliance.
- Learn about new developments in counselling by reading professional literature, attending courses and seminars or establishing and maintain contact with other social services agencies
- Gather information about community mental health needs or resources that could be used in conjunction with therapy
- Develop an individual treatment plan for children.
- Educate family members on what they can do for their child or how to respond to certain behaviours.
- Have an understanding of neuro-developmental pathways, how to diagnose, carry out assessments and draw up an appropriate treatment plan to meet specific needs.
- Ensure that after discharge client is transferred to a robust aftercare plan for proper follow-up and management.
Qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of a Master degree in Clinical Psychology
- Must have completed NYSC
- Minimum of 3 years’ internship/paid Clinical experience
- Strong communication.
- Excellent relationship management and business development skills
- Proactive problem-solving approach
- Stress tolerance.
- High level of professionalism.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques.
- Understand data protection and confidentiality
- Ability to observe, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
- Ability to effectively communicate medical information, test results, diagnoses and/or proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by the client.
- Interviewing and psychological/developmental evaluation skills.
- Ability to evaluate the progress of therapeutic programs and to make individual modifications.
- Ability to assess mental status in clients and to develop individual treatment goals and plans.
- Knowledge of psychological test administration, scoring, and interpretation.
- Ability to maintain emotional stability to cope with human suffering, emergencies, and other stresses.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining patient records.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
Note: The subject of the email should be the job title – location e.g “Clinical Psychologist- Port Harcourt” failure to abide by this would lead to automatic disqualification.