Talented individuals are invited to apply for the Congressional Innovation Fellowship in the USA. This fellowship brings diverse tech talent, ideas, and training to Congress and to build a practical and pragmatic understanding of Washington within the tech community. It is a twelve-month residency on Capitol Hill, running from January to December, with an optional 13th month the following January. Fellows work directly for a Member of Congress or Congressional Committee for the duration of their residency and may spend their time on technology-related issues like emerging technologies, AI and automation, election security, data privacy, encryption, cybersecurity or defence technology policy.
- Eligible Countries: International
- Type: Fellowship
- To Be Taken At (Country): USA
- Duration of Programme: 12 months running from January 2021 to December 2021.
- Number of Awards: Not specified
- Application Deadline: 27th August 2020 at 11:59 pm EST.
- Briefing Members and staff about technology issues
- Researching legislation
- Preparing for hearings or mark-ups
- Meeting with stakeholder groups and building coalitions
- Anyone legally authorized to work in the United States through the duration of the fellowship and holding a US bank account is eligible to apply.
- Applicants should have experience working in or with technology, and the ability to convey complex technical subjects to less-technically savvy individuals.
- Applicants should have some professional experience or be enrolled in or near completion of a graduate-level program.
- Applicants should have a strong desire to help build the Congressional Innovations Fellows program. As part of the 2020 class, fellows should expect to give ongoing feedback about fellowship activities, rapidly prototype and help build the pipeline for technological expertise into Congress.
Fellows are selected by an independent selections board using criteria that include:
- Potential for leadership in technology policy
- Professional achievements and technical ability.
- Commitment to building a diverse and cross-sector technology policy ecosystem.
- Potential for future growth and career advancement.
- Interpersonal, communication and “tech-translation” skills.
- Individual plans for incorporating the fellowship experience into specific career goals.
Value of Award
- $85,000/year equivalent stipend
- Health insurance supplement of up to $400/month*
- Relocation allowance of up to $2,500
- Equipment or travel allowance of up to $2,500
- Reimbursement of up to $2,000 for accommodation for the first month of the fellowship in the Washington DC area to ease the transition during COVID-19.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are to complete the application online.
For more information, visit the Programme Webpage