The Governing Councils of Federal University Gusau, Federal University Dutse and Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike hereby announce that the position of Vice-Chancellor of the Universities will be vacant by February 2021. These research universities that was established with a mission to generate and expand human knowledge and capacity to transform society and to create the positive change. In accordance with the Universities (Miscellaneous provisions) Act 1993 as amended, the Council invites interested, qualified and distinguished academics with experience in University teaching and administration of not less than (15) years to submit applications
JOB TITLE: Vice-Chancellor
- Federal University Gusau, Zamfara (Deadline: 6th October 2020)
- Federal University Dutse, Jigawa (Deadline: October 5, 2020)
- Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi (Deadline: 5th October 2020)
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and the academic head of the University.
- He is the ex-officio member of Council, Chairman of Senate and Congregation.
- He/ She is to promote a high standard of academic excellence in research, teaching and learning, regulate students’ admission, welfare and discipline, and responsible to the council for the day- to day management of the human, financial and material resources of the University.
Qualities and Qualifications
- The candidate for the position of Vice-Chancellor, applicant must possess good university education (up to PhD) from a recognised university; must be a person of high integrity and a distinguished scholar with outstanding academic and administrative track- record; as well as a consummate manager of human and material resources. Besides, the candidate:
- Must have spent not less than fifteen (15) years in a recognised University system, with at least ten (10) years’ experience as Professor with the ability to provide academic and administrative leadership.
- Should have a good understanding of the vision and mission of the university.
- Be able to attract research grants and complimentary funds from local and international agencies and uplift the academic status of the University.
- Possess personal integrity in the management of funds and be able to deploy financial resources as appropriate in the context of the University’s strategic plan.
- demonstrate interpersonal and team-building skills and possess the ability to build bridges between and among staff, students and members of the University and host communities as well as stakeholders.
- have demonstrable abilities to establish and maintain partnerships with local, international, government and non-governmental agents and organizations.
- be an individual who, judging from his/her track-record, is likely to command the respect as well as the loyalty of members of staff and University community.
- be able to demonstrate the ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff (teaching and non-teaching).
- Be able to exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra-statutory funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University.
- Have excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Should be in a position to ensure the enforcement of the University’s laws and regulations.
- Be information and technology proficient and be committed to the development of ICT in the University.
- Be of excellent physical and mental health.
- Not more than 65 years old on the day of assumption of duty.
- Candidates must possess NYSC discharge certificate, exemption certificate or certificate of exclusion where applicable.
- Other conditions of service applicable to the position are as approved and reviewed by the Governing Council from time to time.
- Computer literacy is essential.
- Candidates should ask three referees to individually send, under confidential cover referee reports to the Registrar to be received latest by the closing date of receipt of applications.
- Candidates must attach evidence of possession of national identification number (in line with the requirements of the National Identification Number Regulations, 2017).
- Candidates’ statements of vision and hope for the University, not more than a page, should be attached to their applications.
Tenure and Conditions of Service
The prospective Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single, non-renewable term of five (5) years. The remuneration and conditions of service for the post shall be as applicable in Federal Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by the Federal Government and the Governing Council.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit typed Applications, Photocopies of their Credentials, and Curriculum Vitae (CV). The CV must contain the following information:
- Full Name (in capital letters)
- Post applied for
- Date of birth
- Place of Birth
- State of origin
- L.G.A. of origin
- Nationality (for non-Nigerian)
- Permanent home address
- Current postal address
- Functional email address
- GSM number
- Marital status
- Number of children with dates
- Institutions attended with dates
- Qualifications with dates
- Professional qualification with dates
- General and specific working experience, giving duration, a post held and salary
- Details of research work and publications (attached)
- Details of administrative experience and community services with details of status and dates
- Present employment, rank, grade level and step, salary structure and name and address of the employer.
- Extra-curricular activities
- Any other relevant information
- Names and addresses of three referees, one of whom must be your current HOD/Dean, Vice-Chancellor/Chairman Governing council, who shall send their reports directly to the Registrar under confidential cover.
All applications must be addressed and sent to:
|Federal University Gusau (30 copies)||Federal University Dutse (25 copies)||Alex Ekwueme Federal University,|
Ndufu-Alike (15 copies)
|The Registrar, Federal University Gusau,|
P.M.B. 1001, Gusau,
|The Registrar and Secretary to Council,|
Federal University Dutse,
P. M. B. 7156, Dutse,
Alex Ekwueme Federal University,
P.M.B. 1010, Abakaliki,
Note: It should be noted that only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.