Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong invites prospective international students to apply for 2021/2022 Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS). The HKPFS is established in 2009 by the RGC with aims to attract the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD programmes in Hong Kong’s institutions.
- Number of Aware: 300
- Study Location: City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University, Lingnan University, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Education University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, The University of Hong Kong
- Eligible countries: International
- Offered Annually? Yes
- Application Deadline: 1st December 2020 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00
- Candidates who are seeking admission as new full-time PhD students in the above mentioned eight institutions, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience, and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
Value of Award:
- The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$319,200 (approximately US$40,900)
- Conference and a research-related travel allowance of HK$13,300 (approximately US$1,700) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
Shortlisted applications, subject to their areas of studies, will be reviewed by one of the following two Selection Panels comprising experts in the relevant board areas:
- sciences, medicine, engineering, and technology
- humanities, social sciences, and business studies
While candidates’ academic excellence is the primary consideration, the Selection Panels will consider factors as follows:
- Academic excellence.
- Research ability and potential.
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.
How to Apply
- Applicants must submit Initial Application at Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by 1 December 2020 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00
- After HKPFS Reference, the applicant must submit applications for PhD admission to their desired universities.
- Applicants may choose up to two programmes/departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2019/20.
- They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
- As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
For more information, visit the Scholarship webpage