Applications are invited for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) at Canadian Universities for 2020/21 academic year. Vanier CGS was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning.
- Eligible candidates: Canadian citizens, Permanent residents of Canada, Foreign citizens
- Study level: Doctoral degree, combined MA/PhD, or combined MD/PhD
- Worth of Award: $50,000 per year for three years.
- Research fields: Health research, Natural sciences and/or engineering research, Social sciences, and humanities research
- Deadline: Students should consult nominating institution for submission deadline. Applications are submitted by nominating institutions by November 3, 2020 (20:00 EDT).
- Applicant must be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota.
- Applicant must be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
- Applicant must intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Applicant must not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019
- Applicant must have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Applicant must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
How to Apply
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by institution internal deadline using the online application system.
- Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program and must be nominated by a Canadian Institution with a quota at which they want to study.
- Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
For more information, visit the official webpage