Applications are invited for 2021 Wellcome Trust PhD Training Fellowships for Clinicians in UK. This scheme offers clinicians the opportunity to undertake a PhD within a structured and mentored training environment.
- Career stage: Postgraduate training
- Where your host organisation is based: UK, Republic of Ireland
- Type of researcher: Clinical, Public health
- Level of funding: Salary and research expenses covered
- Duration of funding: Usually 3 years
- Benefits: clinical salary, PhD registration fees at the UK/EU rate, college fees (where required), research expenses, travel costs, including registration fees, costs to offset the carbon emissions of your travel and childcare or any other caring responsibility cost and general training costs.
Eligibility and suitability
- Applicants must demonstrate the potential to pursue a career as an academic clinician.
- Our programmes are based in centres of excellence throughout the UK. These programmes provide research opportunities for clinicians from a range of specialties. Each programme is structured to reflect the expertise of the organisation in which it is based.
- You can’t apply to carry out activities that involve the transfer of grant funds into mainland China.
Programmes: currently recruiting
Wellcome Trust PhD Programme for Clinicians(opens in a new tab) – University of Cambridge, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and University of East Anglia.
UCL Clinical Academic Training(opens in a new tab) – University College London.
Edinburgh Clinical Academic Training(opens in a new tab) – University of Edinburgh.
Clinical PhD Programme in Global Health(opens in a new tab) – University of Liverpool and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine.
Doctoral Training Fellowship Scheme for Clinicians(opens in a new tab) – University of Oxford, Pirbright Institute and the Royal Veterinary College.
Wellcome 4ward North Clinical PhD Academy(opens in a new tab) – University of Manchester, University of Leeds, University of Newcastle and University of Sheffield.
Wellcome GW4 Clinical Academic Training Programme(opens in a new tab) – University of Bristol, Cardiff University, University of Exeter.
Wellcome Clinical PhD Programme in Global Health Research(opens in a new tab) – London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine; University College London; King’s College London; Queen Mary, University of London; St George’s, University of London; Brighton and Sussex Medical School.
Wellcome PhD Programme for Primary Care Clinicians(opens in a new tab) – Keele University, University of Cambridge, University of Oxford and University of Southampton.
Wellcome Clinical PhD Programme in Cancer Research(opens in a new tab) – The Institute of Cancer Research.
Wellcome – Health Research Board Irish Clinical Academic Training Programme(opens in a new tab) – Trinity College Dublin; University College Dublin; National University of Ireland, Galway; University College Cork; Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland; Queen’s University Belfast.
How to Apply
Individual PhD programmes recruit students annually and to apply for a PhD Training Fellowship, please contact the relevant programme directly.
Please, do not apply to the Wellcome Trust.
For more information, visit Official Website.