Applications are invited for 2021 ZMT DAAD Doctoral Scholarship for scholars from Sub-Sahara Africa. Call for DAAD Doctoral Scholarship applications 2021/2022 for scholars from Sub-Sahara Africa with ZMT on topics of “Adaptation of marine socio-ecological systems to changing environments”. The Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) advertises 2 doctoral scholarships starting in Fall 2021. Additionally, 2 further doctoral scholarship can be granted starting in 2022. ZMT strives to increase the proportion of women in research and encourages females to apply for these positions.
- Type: Doctoral
- Eligible Countries: in Sub-Sahara Africa
- To be Taken at (Country): Germany
- Number of Awards: 4
- Duration of Award: The scholarships will be granted for up to 4 years (upon successful evaluation each year) and will be granted directly by the DAAD.
- Application Deadline: 20th December 2020
- Applicants need to originate from Sub-Sahara Africa.
- They need to hold a university degree (international degrees must be equivalent to German “Diplom”, “Magister” or “Master”).
- The last final exam (Master’s degree or equivalent) must have taken place no longer than six years ago.
- At the time of DAAD nomination (March 2021), applicants must not have resided in Germany for more than 15 months prior to the nomination.
- The professional profile of the applicant (academic & professional background)
- The overall quality and fit of the proposal into the overarching topic “Adaptation of marine socio-ecological systems to changing environments”
- ZMT`s research profile and the personal profile of the applicant (e.g. motivation, non-academic activities).
Value of Award:
- a scholarship instalment of currently €1,200 per month.
- travel allowance.
- payments towards health, accident, and personal liability insurance cover.
- a research allowance of currently € 460 per year
- a preparatory intensive German language course starting in Summer 2021
- under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive monthly allowance for accompanying family members (about €200 child allowance per child and about €275 marriage allowance).
- Research Stays abroad are possible if they do not take longer than 25% of the scholarship period.
How to Apply:
- Personal details
- Your CV (max 2 pages)
- Concept of your Doctoral project related to the above-mentioned topic: max 2-page. This concept has to be discussed and approved by a ZMT workgroup leader before submitting it. Please contact the ZMT workgroup leader beforehand!
- Letter of support from ZMT workgroup leader
- Letter of Reference from 2 referees (according to this template)
- Letter of Motivation (Why would you like to pursue a doctoral project at ZMT? Why do you think the suggested working groups could fit your interests?) – max 1 page
- Master and bachelor’s degree certificates
2. After a pre-selection based on the written application potential candidates will have the opportunity to submit a 5-10-page project proposal and present their project to a ZMT selection committee in a video interview.
3. Selected candidates will be nominated by ZMT to the DAAD for the scholarship. A formal DAAD application needs to be submitted by the nominated candidates.
For more information, visit award webpage