Applications are invited for 2021 Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships Programme at KU Leuven in Belgium. As one of its contributions to development cooperation, every academic year KU Leuven selects exceptional students from developing countries as scholarship candidates to obtain their PhD from the largest university of Belgium. The Global Minds Programme is managed by IRO, the university’s Interfaculty Council for Development Cooperation. The aim is to give students the opportunity to conduct PhD research in a ‘sandwich’ system, which means that 50% of the research takes place at KU Leuven and 50% at the home institution of the scholar, supported by a local co-promoter. The PhD degree is awarded by KU Leuven.
- Type: PhD Degree
- Host Institution(s):K.U. Leuven, Belgium and home institution
- Field(s) of study: PhD Research Degree in development-related topics
- Number of Scholarships: Not specified
- Eligible countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, Vietnam. Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru
- Scholarship value: The scholarship covers tuition fee, monthly allowance, insurance, travel costs, research allowance, etc. For the full benefit list, refer to this link.
- Application deadline: 1 Jan/11 March 2021 (annual)
- The applicant must be a citizen of one of the countries included in the VLIR-UOS scholarship country list.
- Candidates who have citizenship of the EU will not be selected. The same applies to applicants with a long-term EU residence permit.
- The candidate’s latest Master’s degree must have been awarded no more than ten years prior to 1 October 2021 (including the ongoing calendar year).
- The candidate must have been awarded an academic grade equivalent to High Distinction or higher. Degrees obtained with a final score equivalent to second class second/lower division will not be taken into consideration.
- The research project must be of excellent academic quality, with a special focus on the development relevance of the proposal.
How to apply
The application procedure entails two steps: (1) first the candidate should obtain admission to a doctoral or predoctoral program preferably 2.5 months before the scholarship deadline. Applications started after 1 January 2021 might not be finalized in time. (2) Only once this admission has been obtained, can the candidate apply for a Global Minds PhD scholarship. The scholarship application deadline is 11 March 2021.
For more information, visit the official website