Applications are invited for 2021 IMU Abel Visiting Postdoctoral Position for Mathematicians from Developing Countries. The International Mathematical Union invites applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month. The program is designed for post-doctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program.
Usually up to 3 Grants are available per YEAR.
- Level: Postdoctoral
- Application deadline: December 31, 2021
- Applicants must hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics,
- Applicants must be based in a developing country at the time of application (information on “Developing Country” right below)
- Applicants must hold a position in a university/ research institution.
- Applicants must be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely.
- Applicants must not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college.
- Applicants must be under 35 years of age at the day of the application deadline.
- The maximum age may be increased by up to three years in the case of an individual with a broken career pattern. This should be noted in the application together with the reason for the broken career pattern.
- Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
- Applications must be received at least four months before the desired starting date. The selection committee will review the applications and award fellowships every four months. The result is announced on the Abel Visiting Scholar Recipients page.
How to apply
Interested applicants are to complete Online Application Form.
- A curriculum vitae of applicant and host, including a list of recent publications (max. 3 pages each)
- A research plan for the visit
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner
- One letter of recommendation If the letter of recommendation is not written by the international research partner (the host), the application should include a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A copy of the PhD certificate
- A statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution signed and stamped by your employer. The statement should include the duration of your employment. Please use the template attached.
- A budget estimation. Please, use the Tentative Budget Form. (for more information see ‘Financial Support’)
- A picture of you for our website (upload separately to the Online Application Form) (The picture will be published on our website (like this: https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/research-travel-grants/abel-visiting-scholar-program/abel-visiting-scholar-2018) if the applicant is chosen, so PLEASE upload a NICE picture in good quality!)
- In case you are planning to stay for more than one month you must attached a proof of the matching funds for your living costs from the host institution
Mathematicians from Africa should also consider to apply to the IMU Simons African Fellowship Program which has the same conditions and approx. 10 Scholarships available per year. Please note that IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR the IMU-SIMONS AFRICAN Fellowship you cannot apply for the Abel Visting Scholar Program at the SAME time.
For More Information, Visit the Official Webpage